Share This Episode
Exploring the Impact of Ranch Living on Youthful Optimism
Join host Barry Shore in a captivating conversation with Soleil LaVigne on The Joy of Living Podcast. Exploring the stark contrast between city life and the vibrant experiences of ranch living, Soleil sheds light on the intrinsic value of hard work, land connection, and the pursuit of happiness among young adults. Delving into the transformative power of physical labor, the discussion unfolds, revealing the profound impact of family bonding and the overlooked lessons that stem from rural experiences. Together, they unravel the importance of gratitude, recognizing the origins of food, and understanding the intricate process of animal birth on a ranch. Tune in to this insightful episode as Soleil LaVigne and Barry Shore delve into the core essence of living well, bridging the gap between urban ideologies and the fulfillment derived from ranch life.
This episode is brought to you by BetterHelp.
and get on your way to being your best self.
[12.02] Living on Ranches vs. City Life
- Comparison between life on ranches and city life, emphasizing the need for hard work and connection to the land.
- Highlighting the tangible connection and work ethic in ranch life absent in urban settings.
- Optimism and Pursuit of Happiness in Young Adults
- Discussion on the reality of optimism and pursuit of happiness among young adults aged 15 to 21.
- Observations on the positive mindset and aspirations for making a difference.
- Hard Work’s Impact on Perspective
- Reflection on the transformative impact of hard work on one’s perspective and attitude
- Contrasting experiences in city life with the gratification derived from manual labor in ranching.
[22.40] Importance of Physical Work and Family Bonding
- Exploring the significance of physical labor and familial bonding in ranch work.
- Describing the emotional rewards of shared hard work with family members.
- Rural vs. Urban Mindset and Instant Gratification
- Contrasting the rural mindset of hard work with the instant gratification culture prevalent in urban settings.
- Observations on the deep satisfaction derived from physical labor compared to ephemeral satisfaction.
- Exposing City Kids to Ranching Experiences
- Proposing the idea of city kids investing time in ranching experiences for a deeper understanding of hard work and land appreciation.
- Examples of how rural experiences positively impact children’s perspectives.
[26.01] Gratitude, Thankfulness, and Food Origin
- Discussing the profound gratitude and recognition derived from understanding food’s origins and the effort behind it.
- Relating the process of producing food, acknowledging the Earth’s role, and feeling thankful.
- Understanding Animal Birth and Economic Value
- Explanation of the calving process and its economic implications in ranching.
- Describing the financial stakes and vigilance required during the birth of animals on a ranch.
[33.2] Importance of Animal Birth and Ranching Economics
- Discussion on the financial stakes and significance of animal births.
- Emphasizing the value of livestock in terms of monetary investment.
- The potential financial loss in case of mishaps during birth.
- Calf Emergence and Future Value
- Exploring the emergence of a calf and its economic potential.
- Describing the future monetary worth of a calf growing into a steer.
- Discussing auction prices determined by the animal’s weight.
[44.02] Ranching Economics and Slaughtering Process
- Understanding the economic aspects of ranching and meat production.
- Highlighting the correlation between weight and pricing at auctions.
- Insights into the utilization of cattle weight for meat production.
- Ranching Lifestyle and Personal Engagement
- Comparing city and ranch life perspectives on animal relationships.
- Discussing emotional connections to animals and their lifecycle.
- Contrasting urban and rural attitudes toward life transitions.
[50.0] Social Media, Time Management, and Ranch Life
- Balancing social media engagement with busy ranching schedules.
- Exploring the lack of time for digital distractions during peak ranching seasons.
- Bridging City and Country Perspectives
- Discussing potential avenues for city and country youths to interact.
- Exploring platforms or organizations facilitating cross-cultural communication.
- Pursuit of Meaning and Self-Expression
- Examining the pursuit of purpose in rural versus urban settings.
- Encouraging individual authenticity despite societal pressures.
- School Dynamics and Seasonal Influences
- Insights into homeschooling and school commute challenges in rural areas.
[53.00] Seasonal dynamics and extreme weather impacts on daily life.
- Yellowstone Proximity and Tourist Influx
- Impact of Yellowstone National Park on local populations and tourism.
- Exploring Cody’s seasonal shifts and weather conditions
- Aspirations for the Future and Personal Growth
- Personal reflections on spreading joy inspired by past experiences.
- Encouragement for positivity, purposefulness, and making a difference.
- Insights into life’s fundamentals and the power of individual choice.
Dr. Craig Chepke, MD, DFAPA, attended NYU School of Medicine and completed his residency training at Duke University. He has his own private practice in Huntersville, North Carolina and is an Adjunct Assistant Professor of Psychiatry for the University of North Carolina School of Medicine. Dr. Chepke has special interests in treatment-resistant depression, severe mental illness, movement disorders, and sleep medicine. He is active in clinical trials and serves on the Board of Directors of nonprofit organizations benefitting schizophrenia and Huntington’s disease. Finally, Dr. Chepke has been named a Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association.
- Can you tell us about the signs and symptoms of clinical depression and how common it is?
- What is treatment-resistant depression and what are available treatment options?
- If someone thinks they have TRD, who should they turn to for help?
- If someone out there or someone they know is struggling with treatment-resistant depression and experiencing depressive symptoms, what should they do?
- What are some things your patients with treatment-resistant depression have found helpful in managing their depressive symptoms, in addition to medication?
- What are some available resources if someone is seeking help?
Please see full Prescribing Information, including Boxed WARNINGS, and Medication Guide for SPRAVATO® and discuss any questions you may have with your healthcare provider.
About Soleil LaVigne
I am a sixteen year old living in Wyoming, but I have also lived in New Hampshire, Florida, and Oregon. From the suburbs, up in an apartment, or miles away from town with thirty chickens! I enjoy reading, writing, studying Cosmetology, time with my family, and sipping on coffee.