Share This Episode
From Adversity to Aspiration: Insights on Judaism and Israel’s Dynamism
The episode hosted by Barry Shore features Rabbi Dov Fisher discussing various facets of Jewish life and Israel across multiple segments:
- [11.20] Jews in the United States: Explores the historical challenges faced by Jews in employment and education, highlighting the current landscape and concerns about rising antisemitism in educational institutions.
- [28.23] Celebrating Villainy: Shares a poignant narrative depicting the tragic impact of antisemitism, detailing a harrowing event in Israel and the atrocities committed.
- [40.01] The Two-State Solution: Discusses the complexities of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, addressing past attempts at peace and current challenges, including opposition to Jewish residency in certain areas.
- [45.00] The Vibrancy of Israel: Celebrates Israel’s diverse population and outstanding achievements despite regional adversities, emphasizing Israel’s unique success and the envy it evokes.
- [54.02] Concluding Insights and Aspirations: Concludes with Rabbi Fisher’s desire to fulfill a cherished dream of moving to Israel and a symbolic gesture of spreading love and kindness.
The episode encapsulates the challenges, successes, and aspirations of Jewish communities in the United States and Israel, touching on historical contexts, present realities, and future aspirations.
This episode is brought to you by BetterHelp.
and get on your way to being your best self.
[11.20] Jews in the United States
- Jews in the US are currently experiencing an unprecedented period in their history.
- Historically, numerous job opportunities were restricted for Jews.
- In the past, certain law firms barred Jews from employment, and many hospitals denied admission privileges to Jewish doctors.
- Presently, Jews have access to employment in any law firm and admission privileges in any hospital, presenting extensive opportunities.
- Notably, the previous President, Trump, has a daughter who is an orthodox Jew, and several members of the Biden family are married to Jews.
- However, there’s a troubling rise in antisemitic incidents in colleges and universities.
- Activities and sentiments in universities often foreshadow the future leaders of the country, raising concerns about the prevalence of antisemitism in the upcoming generation.
- Rabbi Dov Fisher shares an interesting Driver License Story
[28.23] Celebrating Villainy
- The study of 2000 years of Jewish exile shows there is so much antisemitism.
- We’re not victims and we succeed.
- A heartfelt story.
- One day truly animals not even human beings came into Israel and cross the border and they slaughtered 1200 humans.
- The people from Gaza working in Israel were making notes who’s in which room.
- So, when people from Hamas invaded, they knew exactly where to go.
- A story that will break your heart in and out!
- They didn’t just kill people, but they tortured in ways that even Hitler did not.
[40.01] The Two-State Solution
- It’s intriguing how people discuss topics they lack understanding of.
- Discussions about Israel and finding a middle ground often lack insight into the actual situation.
- The Israeli army maintained security in Southern Lebanon.
- In 2005, Ariel Sharon suggested achieving peace by withdrawing all troops from Gaza without requiring negotiations.
- Immediately after Israel withdrew, a group called Kamas took over the area, which was left in a beautiful state.
- Around a million Jews reside in the West Bank.
- Mahmoud Abbas stated his opposition to allowing any Jews to live in certain areas.
[45.00] The Vibrancy of Israel
- Israel’s Diversity: Home to under 10 million people, Israel embodies a rich mosaic of Jews, Arabs, Druze, Muslims, Christians, and individuals from diverse backgrounds, akin to the diversity seen in the United States.
- Contrasting Achievements: Against predominantly Arab and Muslim surrounding nations, Israel stands out for its exceptional accomplishments. It produces an impressive volume of books and inventions in significantly shorter periods.
- Understanding Success: The conversation reflects on the envy surrounding Israel’s success, attributing its achievements to perseverance and the unique ability to leverage inherent talents, a quality deeply rooted in Judaism.
[54.02] Concluding Insights and Aspirations
- Future Visits: The interview concludes with a request for a return visit, graciously met with willingness.
- Fervent Desire: A poignant desire emerges—to fulfill a longstanding dream of moving to Israel, originally shared with a previous spouse lost tragically to illness.
- Symbolic Gesture: A symbolic gesture of love, expressed as ‘HUG’—heartfelt, unlimited giving—shared with a vast global audience, encapsulating the essence of love and kindness.
Oday joined IBM Consulting as the Global Sustainability leader in August 2023, bringing extensive experience in scaling businesses and a background in management consulting. Before joining IBM, Oday was the Founder & CEO of Better All Round (BAR), a B-Corp certified, innovative, ESG-focused diversified fiber-based business.
Under his leadership, BAR launched Ora Household Towel, a revolutionary product developed from initial concept to market within a year. Prior to launching BAR, Oday worked for over 20 years as a management consultant, starting his career at KPMG before moving to Accenture, where he held various leadership roles. At Accenture, Oday served as Global Head of Media & Entertainment, Global Head of Business Consulting for Communications, Media & High Tech, and Global Go-to-Market Lead of Accenture’s Analytics business.
Throughout his career, Oday has built strong teams and alliances while serving clients worldwide. In addition to his professional achievements, Oday has served as an advisor to several innovative start-ups and as a founding mentor for Henkel X.
- What is generative AI and how can it help scale sustainability?
- What will it take to bridge the gap between sustainability aspirations and action?
- What are three things every business leader should know about generative AI?
- How does generative AI help organizations collaborate better?
- Where can our listeners go for more information?
For more information please visit: ibm.com/ibv
About Rabbi Dov Fisher
Rabbi Dov Fischer, Esq., national Vice President of Coalition for Jewish Values (representing over 2,500 traditional Orthodox rabbis) and a senior contributing editor at The American Spectator and columnist for Israel National News (Arutz Sheva), has been an adjunct professor of law at two prominent Southern California law schools for twenty years and previously practiced as a complex-litigation attorney at three of America’s most prestigious law firms, Jones Day, Akin Gump, and Baker and Hostetler. In his legal career, he has been Chief Articles Editor of UCLA Law Review, clerked for the Hon. Danny J. Boggs in the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, and was honored with an American Jurisprudence Award in Professional Legal Ethics. His litigation clients have included Samsung, AT&T, Cardinal Health, the Los Angeles Clippers, KPMG Peat Marwick, and Experian.