Share This Episode
From Diagnosis to Delight: Carolyn’s Gluten-Free Cookie Magic
Join us on a delectable journey of flavor, tenacity, and delight in this special episode of “The Joy of Living” hosted by the ever-inspiring Barry Shore. Prepare your taste buds as we delve into the extraordinary story of Carolyn Mightylicious, the cookie creator extraordinaire. In a world that often forgets to celebrate the simple joys of life, Carolyn emerges as a beacon of sweetness, showing us that happiness can indeed be baked into every bite.
Uncover the secrets behind her quest to craft the world’s most splendid gluten-free cookies that defy expectations and redefine indulgence. But Carolyn’s journey is more than just about cookies; it’s about turning challenges into triumphs and finding joy in unexpected places. Discover how her encounter with celiac disease ignited a passionate mission to create mouthwatering cookies that are not just good for your body but also a soul-soothing treat. And what’s more, each cookie carries the warmth of Carolyn’s personal touch, as her signature “handcrafted by Carolyn” label proudly declares.
This episode is brought to you by BetterHelp.
and get on your way to being your best self.
[11.01] Celiac Disease
- I didn’t have any food allergies from birth.
- While studying abroad in Italy and Switzerland, I developed a deep love for food, recognizing its significance in our culture.
- Food plays a crucial role in both our mental and physical health.
- Surprisingly, discovering that I had celiac disease turned out to be a blessing in disguise.
- I was so unwell at one point that a doctor even suggested I might have HIV.
- After undergoing a colonoscopy and endoscopy, they detected antibodies related to celiac disease in my colon.
- To my surprise, that day when they confirmed the diagnosis was actually a moment of joy for me.
- The colonoscopy brought joy because it led to a beneficial diagnosis.
- Life is all about the choices we make and how we respond to the challenges it presents.
- I was surprised to learn that gluten can be found in unexpected places like Coca-Cola and soy sauce.
- Gluten is even used as a filler in products like cinnamon.
- At that time, I was an athlete and had taken up CrossFit.
- Gluten was causing inflammation in my body, leading to joint problems and hair loss.
- Initially, I thought I could only eat fruits after my celiac disease diagnosis.
- Remarkably, within just 48 hours of eliminating gluten, my body began to heal itself, and I started looking much healthier.
- Celiac disease is an autoimmune condition where my body produces antibodies that attack my colon.
- The more gluten I consumed, the less my body could absorb essential nutrients.
[19.28] Celiac Disease Test
- I took a test for celiac disease, but it came back negative.
- Interestingly, I’ve spoken to many people who have gluten intolerance, which is a type of allergy.
- Surprisingly, a significant number of those individuals also have celiac disease, but it often goes undiagnosed.
- The diagnostic procedures like colonoscopies and endoscopies can be expensive and invasive.
- Consequently, many people are unknowingly living with celiac disease, managing their symptoms without realizing the underlying cause.
[23.49] What Carolyn Did
- I made a significant life change by leaving my job in finance to become an entrepreneur.
- I received my celiac disease diagnosis in 2012, and in 2017, I founded my own company.
- During the years in between, I learned how to effectively manage my celiac disease.
- Embracing an elimination diet can be challenging, but it sharpens your focus.
- Food often plays a vital role in meaningful ceremonies and comforting experiences, but many comforting foods contain wheat.
- Food is not just physical sustenance; it also provides mental and emotional support.
- Coping with celiac disease and following an elimination diet can limit your ability to enjoy carefree moments.
[28.18] Entrepreneurship Journey
- My product isn’t a typical diet product, so you can’t indulge in a whole bag of cookies guilt-free.
- The general public is increasingly aware of how food impacts their mental and physical health.
- People desire healthy foods that still taste delicious.
- Recognizing this market opportunity, I decided to act.
- With an art and economics background, I’ve always had an interest in business.
- In finance, you’re essentially helping people achieve their dreams.
- Living with a disease and buying expensive, unappetizing products motivated me to take action.
- A single package of gluten-free cookies can cost $9-$10 and often tastes bad.
- I left my job with the determination to create the world’s best gluten-free cookies.
- The world deserves a good cookie, and people like me certainly deserve one too.
- I dedicated 12-15 hours of hard work every single day for three months.
- Eventually, I created a cookie that I was incredibly proud of – the best cookie in the world.
- I bought some bags from Amazon and designed my own unique packaging.
- Each package proudly bears the label “handcrafted by Carolyn.”
- Our branding was carefully thought out, and I put a lot of emphasis on the artistic value of the packaging.
- We had a logo that appealed to kids, as many brands in the market seemed cliché.
- It’s important to remember that a cookie is all about fun and making you smile.
- Some of the “better for you” brands in the market haven’t fully embraced this truth.
What’s your most fervent desire?
My most fervent desire is artistic freedom. I want to have an impact on the world that is driven by my heart and that requires capital & passion.
In California, the largest use of all urban water happens outdoors watering landscapes. Many of our landscapes have grass turf or non-water-wise plants that are not suited for our drier, hotter California climate, and require a wasteful amount of water to maintain.
Luckily, outdoor water consumption can be greatly reduced with careful planning, proper plant selection, efficient irrigation systems, and water management best practices.
Saving water doesn’t mean giving up our gardens! Residents can create a landscape that is not only water efficient, but attractive, colorful, and low maintenance for both your front and backyard. With Save Our Water’s new rebates webpage, it’s easier than ever for residents to replace their lawns.
- What is a water-wise landscape and what are the benefits of one?
- Can you start by telling us why Fall is such an important time of year to replant or begin transforming our yards into water-wise gardens?
- What is the biggest mistake that can be easily avoided for those who are not natural gardeners?
- When making selections for my yards, how do I know what to plant and where to plant it?
- If I am ready to start making the transition from grass to a water-wise yard, can I start small, or does it have to be a big project done at one time?
- Where can people get more information?
For more information visit: SaveOurWater.com and follow @saveourwater on Twitter and Instagram and @SaveOurWaterCA on Facebook.
About Carolyn Mightylicious
Carolyn launched Mightylicious in 2017 after living with Celiac disease for 5 years. At the time she was working for a long/short equity hedge fund in investor relations. Forester Capital Carolyn worked at J.P. Morgan Chase for six years as a stock broker. Carolyn’s previous work experience includes operational and supply chain consulting at for IBM. For four years, Carolyn worked with the United States Air Force and the Defense Logistics Agency to optimize the supply chain for the C5 Cargo.